Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"My Ndok... Birthday"


We have a maid that has been with our family for more than 30 years, at first she worked for my grandma, but when my mom married she chose to be with my mom and since then she is with our family all the time, that's why she is considered as family already.
Since she started to work with my grandma since she was a teenager, she is called "Ndok" which means little girl... but because of this she is always called as "Ndok" not with her real name up until now :)


You see... just like other people at her age from the village it is common that they don't know their exact date of birth, usually their parents would associate their children's birthdate with a time mark that happened at that year, such as volcano eruption or something like that.
This is why our "Ndok" didn't know her exact day of birth up until last year, hey... even at her IC... her date of birth is 1st of January :P
Last year when she went back to her village for her mother's 1000 day of death, she went to the village office and asks if there is a data of her birth date and she got it :)
So when she went back to Jakarta she told me her birth date, the only thing is... I only wrote down the date and month, but not the year.


So this year on June xx, I congratulate her for her birthday, but when I asked her about her age, she forgot and she has lost her book where she wrote it down hehehe... I guess her age will always be a mystery for us.
And being this the first year she knows her birthday... getting back from the office I bought a cake and some food for her to have a little party with our family :)
And you know what... though it takes a little effort to buy all those things back from office, it was really worth it, she cried with happiness when she saw that I bought all those things for her birthday.
We had a good time, she was smiling all the night :D just see the pics I took. There was only 1 candle on the cake because it's her first birthday ever celebrated.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm H. and I work in a company interested in blog advertising. I found your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back at k5ino@bigstring.com, indicating your blog for reference, and I'll send you back pricing details, guidelines and processes. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

H.

Anonymous said...

hello.. you have a nice blog although i can't understand some due to language used.

i'd like you to be my friend online. can we exchange links ?

this is my blog
A Lady's Confessions

Your link is already in my blog. Please comment on my blog if you agree.

thank you so much and more power..