I have tried many times trying to make steam fish. The last recipe I tried was just by changing the shrimp to fish from my steam shrimp recipe which tasted delicious for the shrimp by the way, but for fish it's just not tasty enough.
600 gr Grouper, cleaned (no scales at all please)
1 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing chinese wine
salt & pepper
3 cm length of a thick ginger, 1/2 julienned and 1/2 slice (both cuts in 3 cm lenth)
2 big green onion, cut the white bottom part to 3 cm length and julienned (wash well),
cut the green part of 1 green onion in 3-4 cm length
20 gr coriander leaves (you can use the roots as well, but clean well too for steaming phase)
1 big red chili, julienned
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
For the sauce :
1 tbsp oil
1 big green onion, from cut the white bottom part to 4 cm length
100-200 ml chicken stock (boil : water, chicken, green onion, optional : carrot & parsley)
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing chinese wine
2 large shiitake mushroom (fresh or dry), cut 1/2 then slice
3 x 3 x 3 cm rock sugar, crush to small pieces
1. Marinate fish with salt, pepper and 1 1/2 tbsp shaoxing chinese wine
2. Prepare all the ingredients to be around you.
3. Prepare steamer till it is steaming, with medium heat (video says high heat, but not for me)
4. Follow the video : On a steam-able dish for the fish, put chopsticks across the dish and put fish on top of the chopstick, pour fish with 2 tbsp of oil, arrange the julliened cut ginger and root of the corriander on top of the fish, arrange the green part of the 1 green onion around the fish, start steaming. Steaming only takes 15 minutes.
5. While steaming starts, we start making the sauce :
Heat 1 tbsp oil in low heat sauce pan, add sliced ginger, the cut of 1 green onion and shiitake mushroom till aromatic. Add chicken stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, shaoxing chinese wine and rock sugar till it dissolves in the sauce.
6. Heat 1/4 cup of oil till it warms up in a separate pan.
7. After minutes of steaming, turn off the heat. There will be fish liquid on the bowl from the steaming process, check this liquid, if it tasted good, add to the Sauce we made, but sometimes this taste bitter if the fish was not cut in the correct way if this is the case just throw away the liquid. If you add the fish liquid, taste the sauce again and adjust the taste, make sure it won't be too salty as the fish was marinated with salt earlier.
8. Arrange the white bottom part to 3 cm length of 2 green onion & coriander leaves on top of the fish
9. Pour the 1/4 cup of warmed oil on the fish especially on the green onion, then throw away the excess oil
10. Arrange the fish on the dish you want to use, pour the sauce along with the 1 tbsp of sesame oil and garnish with the julliened chili on top of the fish.