Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Nachos inspired from our Bali quick trip



I have tried making nachos since 15 years ago, but it was just plain simple mix of tortilla chips, baked beans and kraft processed cheddar cheese to bake in the oven. But the Beef Nachos I ordered at Nacho Mama - Nuri's Warung in Ubud opened my eyes that it could have a rich taste.

And you know what? Though it's without the beef and using ready made tortilla chips, I was happy with my nachos as well :)
Made my jalapeno pickles from scratch, which is very easy... and a simple guacamole was the only trick to make all the change to give the kick from plain simple to the yummm...

You can use with any kind of cheese you want (I just used what I have in my fridge) which gives the melting effect, I used mozzarella for that but since it doesn't give a strong taste for me, I added parmesan as well. Maybe next time I'll try to make it with nacho cheese sauce.
I hate it when my tortilla chips becomes soggy, so I used just a little of the baked bean juice in a plate which mixed with the tortilla chips and have the juice with the remaining beans in a separate little bowl

Ingredients :
- 1 bag of ready made tortilla chips (or you can use the ones that still need the baking, just cut them in bite sizes and follow the instruction for baking) - I used happy-tos
- 1 small can of baked beans - I used the ayam brand
- 85 gr mozzarella cheese - grated (for the melting cheese effect)
- 50 gr Parmesan cheese - finely grated (for the taste)
- 1 small bowl of guacamole from 1 avocado
- 1 little bowl of jalapeno pickles
- 2 plates & 1 small bowl that is oven-safe

 How to make :
- In 1st plate, pour 1/2 can of the baked beans (make sure only use a little bit of the juice to avoid the tortilla chips becomes soggy), top it off with 1/2 bag of the tortilla chips and 1/2 of the 2 cheese, mix the cheese with tortilla chips with your hand gently not to get in touch with the beans
- In 2nd plate pour the 1/2 bag of tortilla chips, sprinkle it with 1/2 of the 2 cheese, mix the cheese with tortilla chips with your hand
- In a small baking bowl pour the remaining baked beans
- Bake all 2 plates and bowl of beans around 15 minutes or until the cheese melts
- Serve it with the guacamole dip and jalapeno pickles.

 For the jalapeno pickles, as I said it is really simple to make. I found the recipe here and follow it diligently and not making any changes to it.
As for the guacamole, I just combine some recipes to make and it was really refreshing.












JALAPENO PICKLES
Ingredients :
- 15 Jalapenos, cut the stem and slice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 jar or well closed lid storage from glass (I used closed lid pyrex bowl since I don't have a jar)

How to make :
- In a medium sauce pan combine garlic, water , vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Heat to boil and stir to dissolve sugar & salt.
- After boiling, add the sliced jalapenos, make sure it submerged
- Remove from heat and let it sit until it cool down
- Fill the jar with the jalapenos & the pickle juice.













GUACAMOLE
Ingredients :
- 1 large avocado - I used local avocado we call it alpukat mentega / butter avocado
- 1 ripe tomato, diced small
- 1/2 of small onion, diced really fine
- 1 lime, juiced

How to make :
- Mash avocado till soft using potato masher :) set aside the core
- Add in tomato, onion, & lime juice, mix well in a small bowl
- Put the core in the middle top of the guacamole & cover the bowl with plastic wrap (it is said that it will keep the guacamole in the same color)
- Refrigerate and let it sit for for 1/2 hour.

No comments: