Sunday, December 15, 2013

Crazy for Ikan Bakar & Plecing Kangkung


Me and hubby lately, umm... well maybe it's just me, I have been crazy for fish, whether it being fried or BBQed (bakar). Lately I just love the ayam-ayam fish being fried and eating it with Manadonese sambal dabu-dabu, it's just delicious and fresh (plus it's quite cheap compared to the other sea fishes). But when BBQ-ing it I was a bit disappointed, the meat was too thin and the seasoning flavor was not what I had expected. 
The BBQ fish I made tasted too rich, the recipe I used was using coconut milk.
The aim I was looking for was the taste of ikan bakar which I ate years ago with my family at Muara Karang, simple yet yummy.

So, the only thing I had to do was searching at google, when I searched for "Ikan bakar bumbu kuning" mostly showing the recipe with the coconut milk which I tried earlier.
Finally I tried searching just for Ikan bakar at Youtube and I found my inspiration by these inspiring young chefs at masak.tv with a hint help of recipe from my mom's recipe book :) And after being seduced by this fresh medium sized ikan Kuwe at a nearby supermarket which I just have to buy, it just made me have to try the recipe.

As for the Plecing kangkung, the decision to make this was just made on the spot, after 2 hours at the book store for the idea and a last minute recipe browsing. It was soooooo delicious :)

All I can say is I am really happy with how these 2 dishes came out... YUM!!!

Sorry this recipe is not in detail really precise measurement, as it was just made based on how it tasted. So please taste the seasoning flavor first and add to your liking :)


Ikan Bakar

1 Medium Sized Ikan Kuwe (or any kind of fish to your liking, but my advise is to use fish which has medium thick meat, not too thin nor too thick), cleaned
1-2 Lime

Fish Marinate :
5 Garlic cloves (5 siung bawang putih)
7 Shallots (bawang merah)
Ginger (jahe)
Galanga (lengkuas / laos)
Lemongrass (Sereh)
Coriander seeds (ketumbar)
Turmeric (kunyit)
Salt (garam)
Sugar (gula)
Oil to blend (minyak untuk campuran blender)
Oil to saute (minyak untuk menumis)

Smeared on sauce while BBQ-ing :
2 large Garlic cloves (2 siung besar bawang putih),
0,5 tsp Black pepper (merica hitam)
3 tbsp Sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
2 tbsp Margarine / oil (margarin / minyak)

How to make :
- Pour lime juice on the cleaned fish evenly
- Blender until fine all the fish marinate ingredients except for the sugar and oil to saute
- Saute the blended ingredients with oil to saute and add sugar to taste
- Marinate the fish with the sauted marinate ingredients for at least 1 hour, set aside
- Mix all smearing sauce ingredients
- BBQ the fish while smearing the smeared on sauce on both sides of the fish plentiful  and evenly till it is cooked.



Plecing Kangkung

Ingredients :
- 1 large bundle of kangkung / water spinach, washed & select the young leaves and stems
- 1 tsp salt to boil the kangkung
- 1 ltr water
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 curly chilies (cabe keriting)
- 3 orange birds eye chilies (cabe rawit)
- 1/2 of tomato
- 1 tsp of fried terasi / belacan / shrimp paste
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of oil from frying the terasi / belacan / shrimp paste
- 3 key limes (jeruk limo)
- 1,5 tbsp fried peanut for topping

How to make :
- Make sure that the chilies, garlic (before roasting), tomato are cleaned well, as this will be mostly raw
- Grind / uleg salt, roasted garlic, 2 types of chilies till medium fine
- Add tomato & terasi, grind again
- Mix the grind mixture with the oil and jeruk limo juice, now the sambal dressing is done
- Bring the water added with salt to boil, add kangkung into it. Boil for around 2-3 minutes, drain and pour 1 glass of ice/cool water on it, to make sure the color stays bright green.
- Set kangkung on a plate, pour the sambal on the middle top of the kangkung, sprinkle the fried peanuts for the topping and it's done :)


No comments: