Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Yakitori




For New Year's eve I have thought to make BBQ for all of us at home, my plan was to make BBQ : fish, rib, shrimp, yakitori chicken and plecing kangkung. But afterwards I canceled the rib since it would be too much for us to finish in 1 night.

For the fish & plecing kangkung I used the recipe I posted before, but for the sambal of the plecing kangkung I doubled the recipe since hubby requested extra sambal please :)
The shrimp was ok but way too spicy for me, though I have add tomato ketchup and sweet soy sauce to the marinate recipe. I was trying to make the shrimp in BBQ Jimbaran style, but it came out sooo different :(

The yakitori came out really good... I love it, so I just have to post it here :)



There are some notes I read which I followed : use thigh fillet as it will taste much better (this is sooo true) and instead of using sugar, use molasses or honey to avoid the meat to harden. (I used honey since I don't have molasses).
The recipe I made was inspired from here.

Ingredients :
- 5 Chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2,5 - 3 cm squares (remove the skin from 3 fillets, keep the skin for the 2 fillets)
- 4 green onions, use the white bottom only, cut into 2,5 - 3 cm length
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 12-15 wooden skewer

Sauce ingredients :
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dashi stock (I made it from 3 sheets of 3x3 kombu, 1/4 loose cup of katsuoboshi (dried bonito flakes) and 1 dried shiitake mushroom, boil with 200 cc of water till it boils)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tsp solution of cornstarch with water
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder

How to make :
- Marinate the chicken well with the 1 tbsp of : garlic powder, sake, and mirin, set aside
- Soak the skewers in cold water for 15 minutes, drain (to avoid it getting burned)
- Skewer the chicken & green onion (I used 2 green onion cuts for each skewer), set aside.
- For the sauce : boil : soy sauce, dashi stock, mirin, sake & honey in a pan over medium heat till it boils, add the mixture of cornstarch and water, let it boil more until thickened slightly (make sure not too thick)
- After Sauce is done, divide in 2 bowl :
- For the 1st bowl : add 1 tsp of sesame, set aside this will be the dipping sauce
- For the 2nd bowl : add sesame oil, garlic powder & sesame, this is for the basting sauce
- BBQ the chicken skewer and brush the basting sauce over it for around 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.




No comments: